By Guest Writer: Meredith Jones
Are you troubled by the state of the world today? It’s easy to feel overwhelmed, especially when you’re stuck absorbing the 24-hour news cycle. However, the fact of the matter is that you can have an impact on the world around you. Volunteering makes a difference in communities. The more people step up to the plate to make the world a better place, the bigger a chance we’re going to see. Want to get started? Here are some ways you can contribute.
Volunteering from Home
Can’t get out? You can make a difference without leaving the house.
● You can volunteer to make fundraising phone calls.
● If you have extra income, consider donating to organizations that enact change on national or international levels.
● You can also donate to local organizations to see an impact on your own neighborhood.
● There are things you can do from home to help homeless animals in your neighborhood.
● If you garden, consider planting pollinator-friendly plants to help prevent colony collapse.
Fostering Activism in Your Community
Your efforts are more powerful when you have a team.
● If you have children, find age-appropriate ways to volunteer as a family.
● Get to know your neighbors and encourage them to support local organizations in need.
● Attend community meetings and events to stay aware of issues facing your area.
● Consider political activism or running for office to take an active hand in local policies.
Facing The Big Issues
Some problems may feel unshakable, but we need to face them head-on.
● Educate yourself on problems such as homelessness, class disparity, environmentalism, and structural inequality.
● Spend some time reflecting and journaling to identify the issues that matter to you most.
● Come into conversations about these problems with an open mind, and question your own biases to encourage growth.
Now, more than ever, the world needs people who are willing to fight for what’s right. Whether you’re donating, volunteering, spreading awareness, or just staying open, you can be the change. Bookmark this article and come back to it when you need inspiration or guidance. Together, we can make the world a better place.
Photo Credit: Unsplash